Log in

No account? Create an account
vert./horiz. - Lindsey Kuper [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]
Lindsey Kuper

[ website | composition.al ]
[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

vert./horiz. [Jan. 17th, 2011|01:58 am]
Lindsey Kuper

This week, I continued training for Barcelona, culminating yesterday in the longest run I've been on in a little over a year. It was an impossibly great run, the kind where you barely notice the hills. It's encouraging to think that when I trained for my first marathon in 2004, it took me eight weeks to work up to a run of thirteen or fourteen miles, but now I can do one on week two. It's not so much that I'm ramping up more quickly as that I don't have to ramp up because I'm already in good running shape. It's a good thing, too, because there are less than seven weeks to go before the race!

Today might have been a good day to rest, but instead I went to Hoosier Heights for the second time. I scrambled up the 5.5 route I got last time, then proceeded to be stymied by every 5.7 I attempted. (Frustratingly, there didn't seem to be any routes marked 5.6.) The 5.7s I tried all came to some point where I either couldn't figure out how to proceed, or where I was pretty sure what I needed to do but couldn't haul my body into the required configuration. Finally, out of frustration, I climbed up a couple of walls without marked routes. One of these was quite easy, but the other was pretty close to the limits of my current ability. It involved a couple of moves where a hold was just a little beyond reach, and I had to do something tricky to get myself up toward it -- not quite jumping, exactly, but momentarily compromising stability in the lower position as a means of getting to a higher stable position.

At some point, when I was maybe two-thirds of the way up the wall, I was surprised to find that my arms and legs were shaking out of nervousness. Even though I trusted my equipment, even though my conscious mind knew that falling wouldn't have been a problem because the rope and my belayer would have caught me, apparently my brainstem had failed to receive the memo. All it knew was that I was Way High Up and clinging to small synthetic rocks for no reason in particular. Hard to blame it for reacting badly, really. I just kept climbing, carefully, and eventually the shaking stopped, but I wonder if this is normal, and if it's going to go away eventually.


From: simrob
2011-01-17 07:31 am (UTC)
Are you sure your arms and legs weren't shaking out of fatigue? I find that nervous-like shaking regularly happens when I push my muscles to the limits of their ability (which in the case of my upper body isn't at all difficult).
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: lindseykuper
2011-01-17 04:54 pm (UTC)
I know the kind of shaking you're talking about, but I don't think this was that; it happened pretty close to the beginning of the time I spent climbing (despite the order in which I told the story), and it was at a moment when I wasn't exerting myself, just standing on some holds trying to figure out what to do next. But on the other hand, it's hard to disentangle fear and fatigue. I think fear makes me tired.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)