July 10th, 2008

SICP chapter 1: finish'd!

It's done it's done it's done it's done it's done it's done it's done! I finally killed off the last problem that was giving me trouble. I didn't think I'd be able to find a tail-recursive way to approximate these things, but I did it! You just work up from the bottom! Why'd it take two days to think of that? Sheesh.

I'm really, really proud to have finished these problems. Alex and I worked together a lot -- he did most of the work on 1 through 10, way back in March, and he found clever ways to deal with the few out-of-date problems. And he built a lot of scaffolding for those problems, which I ended up using on some of the other ones, too. But it's been all me on these last 20 problems or so. I feel really good. I just looked at the first Scheme assignment from the fall 2007 version of a course that I'm probably taking this fall. Four months ago, that assignment would have been challenging for me, but now, after doing this, it's going to be dead simple. Yes.

Now we can party! And then write some more code, starting in T minus 24 hours.