I just now went through the Humongous Pile O' Stuff that builds up on my desk and has to be attacked and thrown or filed away about twice a year or so. Sometimes, the hard part is figuring out where to file stuff. No matter how many folders I've got, I always seem to have to start a few new ones for categories that I've apparently never had to deal with before.
This isn't like tagging journal entries. I get worked up over that, too, but at least that's something that I can easily change. With this, man, once I Sharpie that name on that folder, I'm gonna be stuck with it for a while. In a way, I guess that results in a more truthful picture of how I really sort out my life, when nobody's watching. This time, instead of just filing all the stuff away, I pulled every folder as I needed it, and so now that I'm done I have out on my desk a curiously compartmentalized snapshot of what I've been doing for the past six months:
- Bank Statements
- School Loans & Aid
- Event Programs & Tickets 2006 (the "Event Programs & Tickets" series has been running since 2000!)
- Health (ha! "Health." This one really needs about ten subfolders, but noooo, I had to start a "Health" folder five years ago and now I have to suck it up and deal until it's physically too small to hold all the stuff, which is almost the case)
- Credit card
- Miscellaneous cool stuff (where else am I going to put my Heiruspecs set list ("Drty Nrth"), the drawings for my eventual tattoo, and the awesome sign that my Stop Motion Animation kids made at summer camp in 2003 that says "WELCOME TO HEAVEN" with clouds, a peace sign, and an arrow reading "Earth 2,000 mi down"?)
- (the name of the company I used to work for)
- Tax Forms
And there were more new ones than usual this time, too. To wit:
- Keyboards (a stack of Inner Sound invoices, basically)
- (the name of the company I work for now)
- Mutual fund
Heh. Fuckin' yuppie.